Sunday 16 April 2017

Ladybower Loop

The April showers held off enough for the trails to dry out and with the clocks going forward, gave us an extra hour of riding time.
I put the extra hour to good use and headed down to the Peak District for an evening spin.



I decided to drive past Langsett and Cutt Gate and put in an extra 20 minutes driving time to get to the South side of Ladybower.
Parking up in the lay-by at Cutthroat Bridge, I quickly jumped on the bike and headed away on the bridleway, keeping my eye out for the highway men that used to patrol these parts. 
Mam Tor was showing proudly in the distance, my first beacon and a taste of the miles to come.
A brief climb and descent and I was spat out on the A57, where I rejoined the busy traffic and headed to the southern point of Ladybower.


Crossing the dam and turning right at the end, I headed in to the woods on a good track.
I followed the track for about a kilometer, turning left on a muddy trail that lead me up to Hope Cross. Weaving it's way up through the pines, it soon had me high above Ladybower and on the Roman Road to take me down to the village of Hope itself. The Roman Road is wide, but has some nice corners to take.
In no time I was on the tarmac and main road through Castleton.

Climbing steadily I soon reached Peak Cave or the Devils Arse. This time round I decided not to enter the Devils Arse and took the right road in the fork to Mam Farm.
The road got steeper and the tarmac started to crumble. The road up here, looks like it's just waiting to slide back down to the valley, but I managed to pick a route up to the Blue John Cavern.
Back on the road for a short spell, until I took the left bridleway up towards Lord's Seat.
From Rushup Edge there are some amazing views back down the Hope Valley.
Industry really does meet the countryside with the concrete works dominating the landscape.

Looking back down the Hope Valley.

The trail ahead was dry as I picked my way through the ruts, dropping steadily down to my right turning on Chapel Gate down to Edale.
The trail is fast as it starts to steepen, with a few technical sections to keep you on your toes and keep your speed down.
I was back on the tarmac for a couple of kilometers out of Edale, turning right for the bridleway up to Hollins Cross.
It was mainly ride-able all the way to the view point at the top, if you managed to get in the right rut.
A quick pause at the top to soak in the 360 degree views, before dropping my saddle for the quick blast back down to the Vale of Edale.
Again the tarmac lead me to the bridleway to take me back up to Hope Cross.
Putting power down on the pedals caused me to bend my 1st gear on the cassette, it was pretty well worn, but it must have been the power I generated on the pedals, must have been! Ok maybe the worn cassette didn't help.

I tried to bend back the gear, so I could at least get the gears working again and have 2nd gear to limp up the hills.
All the bending, twisting and pulling caused the pliers on my multi-tool to snap.

Just as I thought all hope was lost, a DoE leader came over the crest of the hill, riding a his shiny stead. The only thing he was missing was some shiny armour, but from his pack he pulled out a heavy duty pair of pliers.
I straightened out the cog, adjusted the gears and I was off again, with no excuse to push up the hills.

Back at Hope Cross, I had the awesome, steep and technical descent, known as The Beast to get down. Through the gate and in to the woods, I bounced over boulders and dropped in to rock filled chutes, all the way down.

Climbing out and back over the A57, I was soon pushing up to Hagg Farm.
There are two ways down to the Derwent Valley, I chose to head North along the Lockerbrook ridge.
The descent is fast and rocky all the way down to the reservoir at the bottom, it was certainly one of the highlights of the day.

The two tarmac kilometers to Fairholmes gave me a chance to reflect on the ride, take in the spring smells and check the route back to the van.
Once at Fairholmes, I crossed to the over side of Ladybower, in the shadows of the Derwent dam.
A few more kilometers of tarmac meandered it's way South East, before I broke away for the climb up Whinstone Lee Tor.
I pushed the bike up the steep bit, only because I had no 1st gear of course, otherwise I'd have been in the saddle.....
The sun was starting to set behind the hills I was on a couple of hours previously, making me stop for a couple of minutes to soak our brief summer up.


Contouring round to Whinstone Lee Tor was a delight as the clouds lit up from the setting sun, one final look over my shoulder and I dropped down the other side, leaving the breathtaking scene behind.
A dry, fast descent took me back down to Cutthroat Bridge. I can imagine this trail been a bit muddy after a wet spell.
Bike in the van and a short drive back to Leeds for my tea. Perfect ride!

http://alcphotography.co.uk/
https://www.instagram.com/alcphotosleeds/
https://www.facebook.com/alcphotosleeds

No comments:

Post a Comment